I have a question … Let’s pretend that you are having a pretty good day not the best but pretty good. How long do you rest in between chores?
I got this text the other day and thought it would be better to go into details on the blog. I answered in text but it’s a shorter answer. Here it is:
Usually I work or clean for 10-30 minutes then rest for about an hour. Not even kidding. On a good day, I can rest for about 30 minutes.
My longer answer is this…
When I was younger, I had this cleaning routine. My house looked GOOD! I was on top of the world. Now, not so much. I pick my battles with the house. I have levels of cleaning depending on how bad I hurt.
The Lowest Level: High Pain Day
On these days, I have a few lists I follow. Wake up routine, 420 List, and Before You Sleep.
My wake up routine is pretty simple now. I can do it on most of my horrible days. This is done after I go pee and take Jackjack outside to pee. This is done between the time I get up and 4:20 PM (the next list).
- Get up!
- Fold your blanket. I sleep in my recliner so I don’t make my bed. This is what I do instead. It becomes the dog/cat bed during the day. At night, they all sleep with me.
- Feed Pets
- Water Bowls
- Scoop Poop (litter box). I’ll be honest, I do slack on this one. I try but some days my shoulders just kill me (have ever since Physical Therapy. I’ve never been the same).
- Computer stuff (whatever I need to do that day)
- Run a toilet brush around the toilet (usually done while I am in there)
- Spray the tub if it needs it. (This literally takes one minute)
- Wipe up your mess around the sink.
- Empty the trash if needed. (I don’t empty the kitchen trash can though, it’s way to heavy for me.)
- Did you eat something? (I have no appetite. I forget to eat)
- Start dinner thawing or start it in the crock-pot. Plan what you are going to eat today.
- Get someone to unload the dishwasher (I’ll explain later)
- Load dishwasher.
- Have someone start the dishwasher. (I’ll explain later)
- Did you change clothes? (Sometimes the answer is “Nope.” *checks box*)
- Gather dirty laundry (on laundry day)
- Look for dirty dishes and take them to the sink.
- While you can still bend, tidy up the floor. Do it while you can! It will drive you nuts later!
- Uncheck the 420 and before you sleep list.
420 Pain List
This list is all about pain management.
- Have you taken your CBD oil?
- Vape if you need it. 1 puff, wait 5 minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Have coffee. How’s the headache?
- Check the counter and sink.
- Eat something.
- Gather dishes and laundry. (This keeps me up and moving so I can’t just sit there and wallow in my own misery)
Before Bed or Sleep
This can be done from 420 on. It doesn’t matter when I do it, as long as it gets done.
- Rotate dishes (someone empties, I load, someone starts)
- Clean up the sink.
- Clean the counters.
- Set coffee pot
- Set alarms
- Scoop Poop
- One Spot. (Put up shoes, purse, backpack, leash, coat, etc. Have it all in one spot so if you have to leave it is right there.)
- Plan your meal for tomorrow (This is usually a mental thing. I just think, “bean burritos sound good” and that’s it.)
- Uncheck the other lists
- Go for a walk with Jackjack.
A note about the dishwasher.
Where I put (I’ll explain later) next to the dishwasher… this is the explaining part. I can either unload, load, OR start the dishwasher. I can’t do all three or I will be chair bound for days (or a week) from the pain. So, I have one kid unload, I load, and the other kid starts the dishwasher.
If we have a couple loads to catch up on, then the dishwasher stays parked in the kitchen (it’s a rolling dishwasher) and I will pile all the clean dishes on the deep freezer, load it again, and start it. Later, the kid that unloads can go through and put the pile of dishes away.
How I get shit done!
I’ll be honest, lately I haven’t done so well on this. But I am trying. Mostly, struggling. But still trying.
I do the basics first. That’s the three lists above. If that is all I can do that day, then so be it. That is all that gets done. If I can do more, then I use Motivated Moms to get me going and keep me motivated.
Frankly, four years of chronic pain gets to me sometimes. I don’t have pain pills to help the agony. I have marijuana and that is it. Some days, I push that to it’s limits.
I can’t clean like I could before. So using motivated moms makes me feel like less of a piece of crap. I feel like a failure because I struggle with my house. Having a check list that I can see that I am doing these chores and they got done… and it was EXTRA from my lists, that makes me not criticize myself so hard.
The rest breaks
I take rest breaks every 15 to 30 minutes, depends on how bad I am hurting. And then I stay put until the pain dies down some. That could take 30 minutes or it could take two hours. Depends on how horrible the pain is.
If my pain is just out of control that day, I smoke and then take a nap. Some days, my kids know that I am going to be stuck in my chair all day. It happens.